Sunday, June 14, 2015

Jour Sans

That's the biking term for when you have a day when you're just not riding well.  (It's French, of course, and means basically a day without, usually without the energy or speed or whatever that bike riders want.)

That was my ride today.  I chose a route with a fairly hard start, and then an easier finish.  I barely (and when I say barely, I mean barely) made it up the hard start hill.

I was ready to be done five miles out, riding back against the wind.

I don't know why.  I'm reasonably rested, ate decently, drank plenty, and it wasn't especially hot out (about 80F).

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:08 PM

    I'm sorry about your jour sans, but what a great term. I definitely have those. But then I also have days when I feel especially energized and surprise myself by what I am able to do. I suppose a serious athlete expects to have those, but I wonder if there's a term for a day when you feel like you're getting a bit of a surge?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The real bikers talk about "having good sensations in the legs." I'm sure that sounds way cooler in French or Italian.

    ReplyDelete